What I’ve learned about song licensing for a live church worship CD

If you’re recording and releasing a live worship CD of the songs you typically sing in church on Sundays, one thing you need to make sure to do is secure the mechanical licenses for the use of the songs. Your CCLI license doesn’t cover this, and although the rate is pretty straight-forward (essentially $0.09 per song per copy) the process of figuring out who to get the license from can be tricky. Here’s a few things I’ve learned from our process and what I’d do differently next time.

This video covers:

  1. What kind of license is required to record a cover of someone else’s song
  2. Why the Harry Fox Agency is no longer your one-stop-shop for modern Christian worship songs
  3. Who are the main publishing administrators when it comes to songs you sing in church
  4. A review of the company Easy Song Licensing (and why I’d use them in the future)

If you’re interested in the recording and production side of our live worship CD project, check out this video:
What I’ve learned about creating a live worship CD for our church

Here are the links to the main music publishing administrator websites. I would search for your songs in this order:


Here’s the website to Easy Song Licensing:

DISCLAIMER: Although this video is NOT sponsored by Easy Song Licensing, the link above is an affiliate link. That means if you click on the link and end up using their service, I’ll receive a small commission. This helps support the channel at no additional cost to you and allows us to continue to make videos like this. Thank you for the support!

Check out and purchase our live worship CD here (and support our worship ministry!):